Happy {Born-Again} Birthday, Babe

In 1997, I sat among 100 or so students listening to a very young man speak with passion and a fire in his bones about a God I had known since I was a child but had yet to know as this preacher did. His Jesus was less like a felt-board focal point and more like a friend since childhood; he intimately knew and was intimately known by Him. I wanted what he had.

I ate up every word from his lips. So much so that I was teased for the tractor-beam trance I’d fall into when I listened to him. For my parched soul, he poured out Jesus like a refreshing fountain.

That’s what drew me in first.

I was drawn closer to the Lord as I was drawn closer to him. Our relationship was far from perfect but the Lord had bound us together (I must say, much to my parents’ delight) for His glory and our joy. Every year has been sweeter than the one before.

Today marks his 22nd born-again birthday. As one who has had a front row seat from only 5 years into his conversion until now, I can whole-heartedly say that I have been blessed in every way by the Lord through his life. Bottom line: he loves Jesus more than anything. When he signs his emails and letters with “Christ is all,” I can say “he is no hypocrite in this.” With Paul he can confidently say:

for to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain
Philippians 1:21

Matt, I love you and am so grateful for Christ redeeming you. Thank you for using your gifts to build up the kingdom. I am so blessed to be your wife.

Chandler337

6 Responses to Happy {Born-Again} Birthday, Babe

1. Victoria June 17, 2014 at 12:25 pm #

Happy Born-Again Birthday Matt! Lauren, you and your husband are being used so mightily by God to point others to the Gospel. Thank you for being willing servants in the hands of our King!

2. Michelle Truax June 17, 2014 at 5:47 pm #

I am so blessed by the testimony of God’s sweet goodness that you both are! Thank you for letting others have a glimpse of what a God-centered marriage looks like. <3

3. sandy aradi miller June 17, 2014 at 5:57 pm #

I have to check, but I think my “born again” birthday is around this date, circa 1984. It really is a “birthday” to celebrate 🙂 Thank you for your sweet post.

4. Laurie Anstead June 17, 2014 at 6:28 pm #

Love this. Thankful God saved you both and then sent y’all out there! #PRZHM

5. angeliqueindesign June 17, 2014 at 7:37 pm #

And my spiritual birthday is March 7, 1997! AT GRACE!!! I’ve never forgotten that feeling of being drawn by the Lord’s lovingkindness, what seemed like an “emotional” experience to others was LIFE changing and has proved true for 17 years! Thank you Matt & Lauren for your consistent example that continues to grow and grow more into the image of Christ with each passing day! May the Lord continue to bless your union and expand your tent! (as if you need that, but yes MORE Lord!) I always thought Matt was the next Billy Graham for this generation, an rare anointing and it is God given and rooted!

6. Chloe of beyond blessed blog June 17, 2014 at 7:48 pm #

Love this! Praise the Lord that He brought you two together to inspire the world 🙂

Site by Mere