Restless

RESTLESS_MOCK

Two men with two very good, honorable desires. One had it in his heart to build “a house of rest for the ark of the covenant of the Lord.” The other dreamed of rebuilding his beloved city, Jerusalem. Both were restless to fulfill what the Lord had put in their hearts for the Name they treasured above and beyond their own.

Two worthy ambitions. Two different outcomes. Although both were ultimately fulfilled, one man got to see it with his own eyes while the other walked faithfully and passed the dream onto his son to complete. The dream, even in it’s goodness and purity, wasn’t the point. If God had planted the seed (which He had), He would be the one to draw it through the soil, pushing every mound of dirt and obstinate rock out of the way.  They were to but trust and obey. Press hard into their God, press on through their fear, live out their gifts and calling for His glory, their joy.

I’ve been restless like them. And I’ve given into fear. I’ve compared the dream He’s put in me and the means to fulfill it against those I’ve seen around me. Will it turn out like theirs? I’ve been tempted to take shortcuts. Instead of leaning in to hear from the Lord, I’ve kept Him at arms length.

Lord, I know You have something for me to fulfill but I’d rather just have their blueprint. No need for getting too close. What they’ve accomplished looks good enough to me.

I’ve exchanged an intimate knowledge of the goodness and faithfulness of God for an outcome. The Creator for the created.

But what if I actually lived out my gift and calling without the fear? The fear of not seeing it completed, to not get the credit? The fear of pain, of sacrifice?

What if I got to pursue Him without fear? To walk in trust and obedience whether it all turns out like I’d hope or not?

Jennie Allen writes in Restless: Because You Were Made for More, “We are called to dream but we’re afraid to. But because we are called, when we don’t act on it we become restless—restless to find purpose, to make a difference in the world, to matter.” What if discovering God’s unique calling for your life is your greatest responsibility, second only to knowing and loving God? Your restlessness may very well be a divine invitation to purpose, calling and life.

What are you restless for? What’s keeping you?

An incentive: post on FB or retweet on Twitter and 5 of you will receive a complimentary copy.

11 Responses to Restless

1. Emily January 7, 2014 at 4:06 pm #

I’m restless to see what God has next for me. We are finally feeling plugged in to our new-ish community and now I am aching to serve here somehow! Praying that he reveals his plans to me for what I can do in this city! (I also shared on Twitter!)

2. Keri Campbell January 7, 2014 at 4:09 pm #

I am restless, hungry for more of Him. I am tired of “sitting in the call.” I am restless, likened to a bull in the shute, eager to bust loose to do the work He has for me this side of heaven. Praise His holy name that I am not getting to walk in the call!

3. Lindsey Hartz (@LindseyHartz) January 7, 2014 at 5:40 pm #

Restless for financial peace and movement forward with paying debt down so we can move forward in ministry!

4. Sara Zeller January 8, 2014 at 8:41 am #

I’ve always been restless for the big thing, what’s my big thing Lord? But as I begin 2014 I am begging Him to use me in the small. As a working mom with small kids my margins of time are short but I am leaving space for Him. Being present in the present, not missing the everyday opportunities to love, and hopefully, finally embracing this stage of life with the joy of now instead of what could or should be. I am so excited for this book to ship.

5. angiegillikin January 8, 2014 at 12:32 pm #

Hi! Love the idea behind this book and can definitely agree with the restlessness. Having just started a teaching career in the fall after 15 years in business and looking for a new house + starting a lifestyle blog that’s been in my mind & heart for a long time … there’s a lot of restless in me!! 🙂 Hope y’all are doing well and Happy new year!

6. Myriam JOhnson January 9, 2014 at 3:58 am #

Restless for real purpose and meaning. To matter in this life.

7. Dawn January 9, 2014 at 7:41 pm #

Love this. (And retweeted).

8. Kalonda Coleman January 11, 2014 at 9:44 am #

Beautifully written! I can definitely relate to this post. I am often restless when I am not walking in what God has called me to. But even when I am guided by the Spirit, I find that I am often walking timidly. Great post:-)

If you have time I would love for you to review my new book, Holy MatriMommy. It’s about being encouraged in marriage and motherhood with God’s grace. More information on the book and the writer (me 🙂 ) can be found at http://www.holymatrimommy.com

#retweeted

9. Mallory Krieger January 20, 2014 at 12:10 pm #

Love this Lauren. Would love to purchase a copy when it is released. This is perfect for this season of life we are in. We are in the beginning phases of international adoption, which is something we have believed for 13 years that the Lord has called us to. It is all too easy to find myself severely impatient, frustrated, and longing for the created rather than the Creator, especially in situations where the desire is good, and from the Lord. I want so bad to learn how to balance the callings and passions that He’s placed in our lives with a surrendered love for Him, in that if He did not see those callings fulfilled in our lifetime that we would still remain content and fulfilled in Him alone. I love that you have written a book on this subject. Can’t wait to read it!

10. Mallory Krieger January 20, 2014 at 12:26 pm #

So I totally misunderstood and thought you wrote it! lol! Either way, I can’t wait to read it! 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks